May We Introduce You To: Jessica McCabe | How to ADHD
by Lee Gehrls R&D Coordinator (Volunteer)
If you are looking for a positive, energetic, and straightforward approach to learning about ADHD then Jessica McCabe may be a new resource to check out. You might like to begin with her 2017, 17-minute long Ted Talk that starts off with her recognized greeting, “Hello, Brains!”. Her TedTalk, ‘This is what it’s really like to live with ADHD’ will hold your interest. It has 5,871,955 views (there is a transcript also).
In this short video, she walks you through her life and describes how ADHD has impacted her. She talks about being diagnosed at age 12, at age 32 she had dropped out of college twice, had changed jobs 15 times, and ruined her credit. She describes how she worked her way through figuring out what was going on, what she needed to do, and the steps she took to turn her life around. Jessica’s story is about accepting her ADHD, learning all she could about it, and persevering every day.
Here are a few of the topics Jessica covers in the sharing of her ADHD story:
- What she has learned talking to ADHD experts.
- Her daily challenges and key ADHD facts.
- Building “Time Wisdom,” or working backward when you plan. The steps have you track how long tasks truly take you to complete.
Resources from How To ADHD
Resources you can check out:
- Website – greets you with “Hello, Brains! Welcome to Neurodiversity University!” There are videos and it looks like they are going to be adding several other features soon.
- Apple Podcast – ADHD Essentials, Changing the World One Brain at a Time with Jessica McCabe
- YouTube Channel – How To ADHD with its 311 videos, and 1.51 million subscribers. Her YouTube Channel began in 2015 and has won awards.
- New book, available Jan 2, 2024, An Insider’s Guide To Working With Your Brain (Not Against It) (Penguin Random House)
- Sign up for her emails – at the very bottom of this page
During summer many of us want to have easier and lighter ADHD learning experiences. Taking time to watch Jessica’s YouTube videos, and Ted Talk, and checking out her website may work well with your summer plans.
Contact Jessica McCabe
Disclaimer: A-D-A-M℠ provides information about Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder in the form of resources, including articles, books, videos, and websites, as well as links to directories to help you find health professionals, services and facilities that provide services for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. This information and these directories are provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by A-D-A-M℠; and to the best of A-D-A-M’s knowledge are true and accurate at the time of publication. A-D-A-M℠ makes no claim, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the contents found in this information and in these directories, and expressly disclaims liability for errors and omissions. Although great care is given to the composition and contents provided, A-D-A-M℠ cannot guarantee the correctness of the nature and contents of the information. Any person or entity that relies on any information obtained through these resources does so at his or her own risk.