May We Introduce You To: Speechify – Text-to-Speech
by Lee Gehrls R&D Coordinator (Volunteer)
Thanks to Vice President Adam Gehrls for his technical assistance on this article.
Those with dyslexia and/or ADHD can struggle with serious reading and writing challenges when learning. ADDitude Magazine explains how Text-to-Speech (TTS) and Speech-to-Text (STT) can help those with ADHD improve reading comprehension, fluency, vocabulary, and writing skills.
There are numerous apps that can help solve this challenge. Today the app I want to tell you about is called Speechify which reads words to you in many different voices and languages.
Speechify was developed by Cliff Weitzman who has been challenged by severe dyslexia all his life. With the help of his brother Tyler, who has vision impairment, they developed the Speechify app. Students and adults who have ADHD can also benefit from a learning tool such as Speechify. Their website notes that the app can also help those who have vision impairments or who have had traumatic brain injury (TBI).
With 20 million+ downloads and 150,000+ reviews, Speechify is one of the better-known apps in its category. And while it is useful to many, Speechify can have special relevance for those with ADHD. Speechify has numerous articles on its website concerning ADHD and how Text-to-Speech can help:
- What is ADHD? – Explanation about ADHD and how Text-to-Speech can assist behavior management and learning.
- ADHD Signs and Symptoms – Discussion of the signs and symptoms of ADHD and how it is diagnosed. Also discusses common useful tools for ADHD management.
- How to overcome ADHD through immersion reading – Discussion of immersion reading and how it pertains to the challenges of ADHD, as well as strategies for effectively employing immersion reading when you have ADHD.
- Reading with ADHD: Text to Speech can Help – How TTS can help those with ADHD improve their reading.
- Text-to-Speech Tools to Address ADHD Challenges – Discussion of how TTS can help children with ADHD learn to read and write effectively and a discussion of the top TTS options available for those with ADHD.
- Best Chrome extensions for ADHD – a list of extensions including TTS extensions that work with Chrome including Speechify.
Speechify Text-to-Speech offers many options to a user with ADHD:
- Speechify can be used as an extension for Safari or Chrome, or as an app for Apple, Android, or others.
- An ability to adjust the speed at which text can be read – valuable for time-saving.
- Availability online or offline.
- Fluid, natural-sounding voices
- Integrates with Google Docs
- Maximizes productivity
- Enables effective Multitasking.
- Free to use.
Speechify is a monthly subscription with a free 3-day trial. It can be utilized as a browser extension (Chrome and Safari), a mobile app (Android and iOS), a PDF reader, an online service, and an application programming interface (API). You may want to check out some of the personal reviews and testimonials about using Speechify from those with ADHD.
Disclaimer: This document is for information purposes only. A-D-A-M℠ does not receive compensation from Speechify or any other organization. If you are considering Text-to-Speech applications or other products be sure to do your research, as there are alternatives that could be better suited for your needs. Always consult your primary healthcare and/or mental healthcare provider on the treatment of ADHD and related conditions.
Disclaimer: A-D-A-M℠ provides information about Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder in the form of resources, including articles, books, videos, and websites, as well as links to directories to help you find health professionals, services and facilities that provide services for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. This information and these directories are provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by A-D-A-M℠; and to the best of A-D-A-M’s knowledge are true and accurate at the time of publication. A-D-A-M℠ makes no claim, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the contents found in this information and in these directories, and expressly disclaims liability for errors and omissions. Although great care is given to the composition and contents provided, A-D-A-M℠ cannot guarantee the correctness of the nature and contents of the information. Any person or entity that relies on any information obtained through these resources does so at his or her own risk.